September 2012, updated September 2012
The establishment of the farm was to participate in the Doi Tung Development project under the patronage of HRH the Princess Mother and to develop coffee as a sustainable crop to replace opium cultivation in line with the national and stop slash and burnt the forest by implementation reforestation program and for water the conservation purpose. The hill tribe in the areas also hired to work on the far, they have a job in their own area and prevent them to migrate to town and helping them to have income.
• To Arabica coffee variety adaptation trial to find the most suitable planting material both in term of agronomical characteristic taste, for the condition of the Northern of Thailand
• Demonstration of the most appropriate cultivation practice for coffee in high land area
• Demonstration of proper post harvest treatment and installation to obtain quality coffee products
• Study problems associated with Arabica cultivation
• Possible source to supply of coffee planting materials for hill tribes in the area
Value to Society
In the beginning, hill tribe are able to uplift their quality of live in planting opium to planning coffee that able to reduce the number of drug addicted in the society. Around 20 hill tribe hired to work in the farm, plus another 1,000 farmers in the Doi Tung Development project and hilltribe who live surrounding the farm have adopted our advice. In 2012, 500 tons of Arabica green coffee produced from high yield and they earned more income at USD 2.5 million.
Value to Nestlé
Nestlé as a good citizen in the country has been contributing to help local people to have their jobs and income for their living and their children education and community, especially, eradication of opium cultivation in the area. Nestlé also has an appropriate farm to experiment good yield and good quality of Arabica in this region.
Nestlé will continue to support for finding the elite coffee trees for the north of Thailand as well as provide technical advice. The farm will be optimized as the training center for farmers in the areas, extension officer of the project and the government officers, as well as demonstration of arabica coffee cultivation, and post-harvesting Will the project be continued in the next year(s).