Actions we’ve taken
Nestlé cocoa plan: Cocoa farmer Eugenio Bautista Velázquez consults Nestlé advisor Rubén Jiménez
- We’ve developed a new Rural Development Framework, which we will start to rollout in 2013. It is our goal to roll out the Rural Development Framework to 21 countries by 2015.
- We’ve launched Responsible Sourcing Guidelines for sugar.
- We are the first food company to partner with the Fair Labor Association.
- We’ve updated our Commitment on Child Labour in Agricultural Supply Chains in three key commodity areas: cocoa, hazelnuts and vanilla.
Challenges we’ve faced
- Ensuring that small-scale farming is an attractive occupation.
- Meeting the scale of the challenge to reverse years of declining investment by governments into farmer extension services and under-investment in better planting material.
- Defining the role of companies in resolving complex problems involving a multitude of actors from governments to companies to civil society groups.
- We’ve provided services worth USD 37.8 million to assist more than 44,000 farmers.
- We’ve provided direct financial assistance totalling USD 23 million to farmers.
- We now employ more than 1,180 agronomists and 12,000 support staff to provide advice, training and technical assistance for farmers.
- We’ve trained 273,808 farmers through our capacity building programmes.