Nestlé is committed to the highest possible standards of farm animal welfare.
Our Commitment on Farm Animal Welfare (pdf, 2Mb) includes a pledge to phase-out concerning practices, based on the World Organization for Animal Health’s (OIE’s) ‘Five Freedoms’, which we work to promote in our global supply chain.
All Nestlé suppliers must follow our Responsible Sourcing Standard (pdf, 2Mb), which lays out our sourcing requirements for meat, poultry and egg products and dairy.
Nestlé has signed a global collaboration agreement with Compassion in World Farming to help drive improvements in our sourcing and to encourage broader supply chain transformation.
In October 2018, we were a founding member of the Global Coalition for Animal Welfare (GCAW), whereby we work with a range of other companies to improve animal welfare standards globally.
Specific pledges involve:
- Only using cage-free eggs for all Nestlé food products globally by 2025. This includes all shell eggs and egg products (e.g. whole egg powder and liquid and egg white powder and liquid) that we directly source as ingredients.
- Transitioning to cage-free eggs only for our food products by 2020 in the U.S. and Europe.
- Improving broiler chicken welfare (by 2024 in the U.S. and 2026 in Europe).
Find out more
- Learn more about how we are improving the welfare of farm animals in our supply chain
- Read more about partnerships and industry alliances
- Nestlé Farm Animal Welfare Q&A (pdf, 191 Kb)