Teaming up for climate advocacy
There's strength in numbers. We work with many different partners to undertake climate advocacy and make a positive difference.
This forms a critical part of delivering against our Net Zero Roadmap, helping to create the right frameworks and conditions for efforts to reduce emissions.
All of Nestlé's advocacy activities on climate align with the ambitions of the Paris Agreement. This includes our work related to multi-stakeholder and business only coalitions and trade associations.
We provide specific guidance to our local market teams on aligning advocacy and external engagement activities with the goals of the Paris Agreement, applying our Policy on Transparent Interactions with Public Authorities (pdf, 2Mb).
Disclosure of our advocacy practices is important to enhance transparency and trust, we therefore make publicly available:
- Our advocacy priorities on climate
- A disclose of Nestlé S. A.'s memberships of private sector-led and multi-stakeholder coalitions related to these priorities
- Nestlé's climate legislative advocacy guidance
- Links to other public disclosures of Nestlé's advocacy activities
- Examples of our global and regional advocacy activities
Our advocacy priorities on climate
As set out in Nestlé's Net Zero Roadmap, we will continue to advocate for ambitious government policies and private-sector leadership to ensure all sectors move more quickly towards rapid and sustained reductions in carbon emissions. Our two main focus areas are:
• Carbon pricing & markets and offsetting
• Environmental claims
• Disclosure & reporting
In addition, Nestlé supports various multi-sector efforts aimed at increasing the pace of decarbonization at a multi-lateral and national level.
Nestlé S.A. memberships
Nestlé S.A. is our holding company based in Switzerland that oversees all of Nestlé's consumer facing brands and other businesses around the world. We have mapped out relevant multi-stakeholder or business-only organizations that Nestlé S.A. supports related to our climate change advocacy priorities.
Our 2022 disclosure (pdf, 5Mb) includes the overall positions that we support for each individual subtopic of our net zero roadmap, and how the activities that we support in these organizations align with the aims and ambitions of the Paris Agreement.
Equipping our teams for climate advocacy
Nestlé S.A. has developed climate legislative advocacy guidance on climate change (pdf, 250Kb) for all our local and regional teams.
The document underlines our commitment to carrying out climate advocacy activities in line with the Paris Agreement, whether globally or locally.
In line with the U.S. Lobbying Disclosure Act 1995, Nestlé USA discloses all its U.S. lobbying activities, including those related to climate change, on a quarterly basis. The report for Q1 2022 includes, for example, support for the electrification of transport infrastructure.
Nestlé S.A. has been registered (number 15366395387-57) on the EU transparency register since 2011. Our entry includes:
- Annual spend
- Topics of interest
- List of association memberships
- List of meetings with Commission officials
- List of consultation responses
- Registered lobbyists
Nestlé S.A. also discloses advocacy and policy engagement activities around climate via our annual CDP Climate submission. Find our 2021 disclosure (pdf, 500Kb).
Combatting climate change is a team effort
COP 26: GlasgowNestlé urged policymakers to help accelerate the decarbonization of food production at COP 26
World Business Council for Sustainable DevelopmentNestlé participates in several working groups, including those dedicated to climate change
CGF Forest Positive CoalitionNestlé is a founding member
Examples of our advocacy activities
Nestlé is active in progressive climate advocacy on a regional and local basis.
In the United States, activities include:
- Nestlé USA supports pro-climate policy development through its membership of the Sustainable Food Policy Alliance.
- Nestlé USA has also been recognized by the non-profit organization Ceres for its work on climate advocacy.
In Europe, activities include:
- Co-founding the European Clean Trucking Alliance and the EU Circular Plastics Alliance.
- Supporting the European Commission's [email protected] Platform.
- Joining the European Alliance for Plant-based Foods to put plant-based foods at the heart of the transition toward more sustainable and healthy food systems.
- Participating (via FoodDrinkEurope) in the European Commission Multi-stakeholder Platform on Protecting and Restoring the World's Forests, to provide advice and assistance in the preparation of EU legislative proposals and policy initiatives to tackle global deforestation. We are chairing the agriculture working group of FDE to help companies deliver regenerative agriculture at scale (pdf, 500Kb).