There's strength in numbers. We work with many different partners to undertake climate advocacy and make a positive difference.
This forms a critical part of delivering against our Net Zero Roadmap, helping to create the right frameworks and conditions for efforts to reduce emissions.
All of Nestlé's advocacy activities on climate align with the ambitions of the Paris Agreement. This includes our work related to multi-stakeholder and business-only coalitions and trade associations.
We provide specific guidance to our local market teams on aligning advocacy and external engagement activities with the goals of the Paris Agreement, applying our Policy on Transparent Interactions with Public Authorities (pdf, 2Mb).
Disclosure of our advocacy practices is important to enhance transparency and trust. That is why we welcome the development of the Global Standard on Climate Responsible Lobbying and use it to guide our annual Nestlé Climate Advocacy Industry Associations Review (pdf, 4Mb) disclosure. This includes:
- Our advocacy priorities on climate
- Nestlé S.A.'s main industry association memberships and an assessment of how far their positions are aligned with the objectives of the Paris Agreement
- Our process for addressing misalignments
- Nestlé's climate legislative advocacy guidance that helps equip our teams
- Our governance structure for climate advocacy activities
- Links to other public disclosures of Nestlé's climate advocacy activities
- Examples of Nestlé's global and regional climate advocacy activities
Setting a clear agenda on climate
As set out in Nestlé's Net Zero Roadmap (pdf, 8Mb), we will continue to advocate for ambitious government policies and private-sector leadership to ensure all sectors move more quickly towards rapid and sustained reductions in carbon emissions. Our focus areas are:
In addition, Nestlé supports various multi-sector efforts aimed at increasing the pace of decarbonization at a multi-lateral and national level.
Combatting climate change is a team effort
Nestlé advocated for greater recognition of regenerative food systems at COP27
Nestlé participates in several working groups, including those dedicated to climate change
Nestlé is a founding member
Examples of our advocacy activities
Nestlé is active in progressive climate advocacy on an international, regional and local level.
On a global level, activities include:
- United Nations Climate Change conference – we contribute to formal Conference of the Parties (COP) meetings, including advocating for a just transition in food and agriculture systems, encouraging the empowerment of a new generation of farmers trained in regenerative practices and pushing for mandatory corporate disclosure of impacts and dependencies on biodiversity.
In the United States, activities include:
- Nestlé USA supports pro-climate policy development through its membership of the Sustainable Food Policy Alliance.
- Nestlé USA has also been recognized by the non-profit organization Ceres for its work on climate advocacy.
In Europe, activities include:
- Co-founding the European Clean Trucking Alliance and the EU Circular Plastics Alliance.
- Supporting the European Commission's Business@Biodiversity Platform.
- Joining the European Alliance for Plant-based Foods to put plant-based foods at the heart of the transition toward more sustainable and healthy food systems.
- Participating, via FoodDrinkEurope (FDE), in the European Commission Multi-stakeholder Platform on Protecting and Restoring the World's Forests. We are chairing the agriculture working group of FDE to help companies deliver regenerative agriculture at scale (pdf, 500Kb).