During this unprecedented time, our purpose of enhancing quality of life and contributing to a healthier future is now more important than ever. From our supply chain, to our factories, and right through to your homes, we’re working around the clock to ensure that we continue to meet the nutritional needs of your families and pets during this difficult time. We have a duty to ensure that much-needed food, petfood and beverage products are available around the world.
People are at the heart of our business. Therefore, the health and safety of our employees, business partners and the communities where we operate is extremely important for us.
We have an essential role to play during the COVID-19 crisis. Food and beverages help keep people healthy and enhance their quality of life. We care about our responsibility to provide good nutrition, especially for the most vulnerable in society - children, the elderly and those struggling with illness. Our people are fully committed and are working tirelessly to ensure that supply is maintained. We are working very hard to keep them healthy and safe.
Since the very beginning of this crisis, together with our people, we have driven substantial local relief efforts in the communities where we operate. Building on these efforts, we have joined forces with the International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies to further support those in need during this COVID-19 pandemic.
For the last 154 years, you, our consumers, employees, and business partners have relied on us during the most challenging times. And today, we’re right there with you in fighting this significant global challenge with flexibility, resilience, courage, and a caring heart.
What are you doing to help stop the spread of coronavirus?
People are at the heart of our business. We are working tirelessly to keep our employees, business partners and the communities where we operate healthy and safe during the coronavirus outbreak. Our actions include:
- Asking our employees worldwide not to travel internationally for business purposes until at least April 15, 2020. Employees should replace domestic travel with alternatives wherever possible. These arrangements remain under review as the situation develops.
- Encouraging office based employees to work from home whenever possible.
- Advising employees on minimizing the risk of infection both at work and at home. We also encourage all of our employees to take care of their physical and mental health during this difficult time
- Requesting that any employees who may be experiencing symptoms inform their line manager and self-quarantine for a 14-day period.
- Putting in place additional safety measures in our factories, offices and distribution centers.
- Working with our supply chain, distribution and retail partners to implement appropriate infection control measures and meet demand for our products.
What are you doing to support communities in need?
We are committed to playing a key role in the global response to this pandemic.
Our people have led substantial local relief efforts in the communities around the globe where we operate. We are providing support to charities, medical institutions and other organizations in the frontline of the fight against this pandemic. We have worked very closely with physicians to develop new tailored COVID-19 medical nutrition and supplement treatment protocols.
We have donated to food banks and food delivery organizations to support people in need. We are providing prompt and pragmatic support to our business partners, for example in our supply chains, who are affected by this crisis. We have also joined forces with the IFRC to further support those in need during this COVID-19 pandemic.
Our efforts are continuing - and intensifying - around the world.
What are you doing to ensure your products remain available?
We believe that we have a responsibility to provide good nutrition, especially for the most vulnerable in society – children, the elderly and those struggling with illness.
We would like to assure our customers and consumers that we will continue to produce and deliver products to meet global demand – our people are fully committed and are working tirelessly to ensure that supply is maintained.
What measures have you taken for your employees specifically?
We are working very hard to keep them healthy and safe. We have implemented enhanced safety measures at all our sites, with particular focus on our frontline workers in Nestlé factories, quality labs and distribution centers. Where needed, we are offering free meals and transport for staff to help reduce the risk they fall ill.
We are also offering generous sick leave arrangements for those who contract the virus and will provide cash loans or advances for those in financial distress. All hourly and salaried staff affected by temporary stoppages will be paid in full for a minimum of twelve weeks (subject to local labor laws and regulations).
What does the partnership with the IFRC entail?
We have joined forces with the IFRC in response to its emergency appeal. As part of the emergency response, the IFRC is providing immediate help to strengthen health care systems, where the need is greatest. Initially, we will work together in four ways to provide urgent help for emergency services and caregivers and strengthen healthcare systems:
- We will donate food, medical nutrition products and bottled water to bring relief to those most affected by the pandemic.
- We will deploy available logistics capacities from our out-of-home business to support the needs of the IFRC in various countries.
- We will donate CHF 10 million for immediate deployment in countries where it is most needed.
- We will match 1:1 any donations to the Red Cross and Red Crescent National Societies or Federation made by our employees.