A COLLABORATIVE APPROACH: Nestlé works closely with farmers and coffee cooperatives.
You can trust that Nescafé coffee products respect people and nature. In fact, the brand was born in the 1930’s as one of the earliest examples of sustainable development.
Based on Nestlé’s milk processing expertise, we developed soluble coffee to help thousands of farmers avoid hardship and crop waste through a collaborative approach with the Brazilian government.
True to our heritage, we continue to support and work with farmers around the world. In addition, we are working to ensure that Nescafé products have the lowest category environmental footprint – whether you choose to enjoy Nescafé soluble coffee, Nescafé Dolce Gusto, or any of our Nescafé ready to consume drinks.
Nescafé helps farmers
Nescafé doesn’t own any commercial coffee farms nor do we promote contract farming. In most cases our coffee is sourced from small land holders. Our coffee experts and agronomists work side-by-side with farmers to provide them with support that can positively impact farmer income and quality of life. Our support includes:
- Provision of high-quality coffee plantlets that help farmers revitalise their crops on a regular basis.
- Agricultural training and assistance through farmer field schools and knowledge sharing with farming cooperatives, educational institutions and governments.
- Direct sourcing where possible, supporting traceability and improved farmer incomes.
Nescafé respects nature
We have conducted Life Cycle Assessments to determine the environmental impact at every stage of our product process. This helps us to make improvements in three core areas:
- Responsible farming – Encouraging and supporting farming cooperatives and individual farmers to adopt sustainable agriculture practices and reduce environmental impacts.
- Responsible production – Continually improving our manufacturing process including energy and water use, packaging and transportation.
- Responsible consumption – Helping consumers make the right choice in the preparation and use of products to minimize energy and water use, and ensure proper disposal or recycling of packaging.
From bean to cup, from farmer to you – we respect the environment at every step.