Tackling plastic pollution, especially in our oceans, is an urgent priority for us. We take this responsibility seriously. We support all efforts to raise awareness and find solutions to the plastic waste problem.
In April last year, we pledged to make 100% of our packaging recyclable or reusable by 2025. We are committed to making a significant difference everywhere we operate. That is why we have been working with governments, NGOs, suppliers, waste managers, retailers as well as other companies to take meaningful actions*. As we deploy new solutions, we will never compromise the health of our consumers. The safety and quality of our foods and beverages are non-negotiable.
We are determined to reduce our use of single-use plastics. We are introducing reusable packaging, new delivery systems and innovative business models. We are currently testing reusable ice cream containers for our Häagen-Dazs brand in the U.S. Dispensers for Nescafé and Milo are already available in many countries around the world. In early 2020, we will launch new water dispensers using state-of-the-art technology, allowing consumers to fill their own reusable bottles.
These innovative models are promising. They are part of a broader set of actions, which include promoting recycling and developing novel biodegradable and compostable packaging solutions.
Everyone at Nestlé is committed to making further progress in tackling this global problem. We look forward to working in a constructive manner with all those who want to shape a waste-free future.
Find more information about what we are doing to tackle the plastic waste problem
Read this statement in Deutsch (pdf, 250 Kb) and Français (pdf, 120 Kb)
* Specific actions underway on plastics include:
- eliminating plastic straws from our products
- rolling out alternative packaging solutions for several of our iconic brands
- finding alternative ways to deliver our products to consumers, such as reusable containers or dispensing systems
- working with partners to develop fully marine biodegradable and recyclable bottles
- improving waste collection, sorting and recycling of plastic material
- collaborating with others to prevent ocean plastic leakage in South-East Asia and to stop the further accumulation of plastics in the environment
- driving new behaviors both within and outside our company